The Neighbourhood of Hunt Club
The Hunt Club neighbourhood takes its name from the London Hunt Club onto which it backs. The “Old Hunt Club” area was developed beginning in the 1950’s and contains mostly prestige and executive homes, many of which have undergone extensive renovations. As such, the area commands among the highest property values in the city and over all has an estate feel. The “New Hunt Club” is a newer development typical of other “executive home” neighbourhoods.
London Hunt and Country Club
The origin of the London Hunt may be traced back to the city’s “garrison period”, and is popularly cited as May 9, 1843. On that day a famous military steeplechase took place that dramatically illustrated local interest in equestrian sports, including foxhunting, which had begun in this area during the previous autumn.
It was actually on March 30, 1885, though, that the London Hunt Club was formally organized. Hound kennels and a Club House were soon established in converted farm buildings on Western Road at the present site of the Federal Agricultural Institute. Other early activities of the Club included lawn tennis, bowling and archery. By the turn of the century the Club had moved to a nearby location at the corner of what is now Richmond Street and Windermere Road, and with the provision of a 9-hole golf links was re-designated in 1904 as The London Hunt and Country Club. Tennis was revived in 1906 when two grass courts were constructed. In 1917 the golf course was expanded to 18 holes through the lease of a portion of the adjoining new campus which had been acquired by The University of Western Ontario. The tennis courts were abandoned in 1930 in order to convert the space into a parking lot for the increasing number of vehicles at the Club. Two years later trapshooting was introduced as an off-season activity.
In 1951, because of the encroachment of residential development surrounding the London Hunt’s property, the Hunt Kennels were moved to a new location east of Hyde Park. In 1965 the same reason forced the hunt to move to its present location, the north east corner of the Denfield Side Road and the Sixth Concession Road of London Township. Aware that Western’s expansion during the 1950’s would eventually jeopardize its course; the Club purchased from the London Health Association some 275 acres (111 hectares) at the west end of Oxford Street. Robert Trent Jones designed a 27-hole golf course, 18 of which were completed in 1959. The following spring the Hunt Club moved to its present attractive setting. In 1970 tennis courts were constructed and the game rapidly proved popular with a large number of members again.
Unique in North America for its entente cordiale of foxhunting, golf, tennis, skeet and trapshooting, the London Hunt and Country Club has attained an enviable reputation not only for its members’ excellence in competitive activities, but also for their contribution to the community and country during peace and war.
Source: London Hunt and Country Club
Parks and Other Places of Interest
The area is serviced by Oakridge and Cheltenham Parks.
Hunt Club is also the home of Ecole elementaire Marie-Curie (French First Language).
SERVICE | KNOWLEDGE | RESULTS
Whether It's by Email, Phone or Sitting Down Over a Cup of Coffee, Let's Begin the Conversation About Your Real Estate Needs.
Resevoir Park Estates
334 Wellington Rd. S
London, Ontario N6C 4P6